Sunday, July 26, 2009

More food!


It seems that my blog posts lately have been about food. Its not that I haven't been crafting. I've made 2 nuno scarves and a handful of felted soaps. I also spent the day with my mother in CT making christmas ornaments for our Christmas shows. However, none of these projects have been photographed, so I post what I have taken pictres of lately - and that is food!

Most recently, I've been baking bread. John & I have decided that we are going to bake our sandwich bread each week. We love to bake and love the idea of making something where we know all the ingredients are natural. I've especially loved using my beautiful fresh herbs along with a combination of different flours to create tastey and unique loaves.

This week, I made a Herbed Italian loaf that is so tastey, I thought I'd share the recipe. This makes a two pound loaf:

In your bread machine, add:

1 cup of milk
1 egg
1/2 cup water
4 teaspoons olive oil
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons potato flour
1/4 cup parmesean cheese
3/4 salt
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
2 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil

Mix all the ingredients in the dough setting of your bread machine. Once it is done, punch down the dough and knead a little before shaping it to fit your bread pan (we use a silcone loaf pan because its easy to get the bread out!). Cover with a damp paper towel and then a kitchen towel. Sit it in a warm spot of your kitchen for 1/2 for its second rise. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350. When the bread has finished its final rise, slash the top with a knife and brush with olive oil. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!

No comments: